How to Set Up Feed to Post's Image Options
These options give you the ability to choose how images are handled within Feed to Post.
The Images options can be found in the following two places:
- Each feed source's Add New or Edit page,
- The general Feed to Post Settings page.
From each of the above two areas, you can choose the settings for image importation and the setting of featured images.
Check this box to import the images from the posts into your local media library. If this is left unchecked, you will be using the original image from the original source. If these images are removed by the source, they will be missing on your site too. When importing images to your site though, it's best to ensure that the source gives you the right to do so.
Image Minimum Dimensions
Here you can set the minimum size that you would like for imported images (in pixels). This option applies to images saved in the media library as well as the featured image.
Enable Featured Images
Check this box to enable featured images for imported posts.
Featured Image to Use
Via the dropdown, you can set whether you want to set the featured image from the:
- First image in post content
- Last image in post content
- Feed <media:thumbnail> tag
- Use the fallback featured image
- Enclosure tag
Please consider the following when selecting an option for which image to use:
- First Image in post content is recommended, as this will most likely be the most relevant image if no image is indicated by the Feed.
- The <media:thumbnail> tag, is used by a Feed as a featured image or thumbnail. If it is available in the feed, it is usually the best choice.
- The <enclosure> tag is also commonly used as a featured image or thumbnail.
- If no image is found when importing the feed, the fallback will be the default featured image.
- Lastly, experiment with these settings to determine which is the best to use for a particular feed source.
We have also provided a few Advanced Image Handling tips for you to modify the imported images even further.
Remove featured image from post content
Depending on your theme, the single post template may or may not display a featured image at the top of the page.
Some sources also include their featured images at the very beginning of their content.
If both of the above are the case on your site, it may cause a featured image to appear as duplicated at the top of the individual post page. When this is the case, ticking this option will remove the featured image from the post content, ensuring that there is only one of these images being seen.
Posts must have a featured image
In certain cases you may only wish to import posts that will look good on your site. When your theme relies a lot on imagery, a post with no featured image may look out of place.
By ticking this option, any post from the RSS feed that has no images will be skipped. This ensures that your website has a consistent look, always showing posts with images. Those without images are not imported.
Fallback to Feed Image (only in the general settings)
Check this box to use the feed channel’s image, if available, before resorting to the feed source’s fallback image.